A year later, two lines between Rostock and Güstrow emerged almost simultaneously.
On the one hand, the Priemerburg–Plaaz railway was built by the Güstrow Plau Railway (German: ), which provided a connection to Rostock via the Lloyd Railway.
Even after the reconstruction of the Lloyd Railway in 1960, the route was particularly important for long-distance services between Rostock and Berlin with more than half of the Durchgangszug (express) trains continued to run via Güstrow. Since 1998, local trains running between Rostock and Güstrow have been included in the Rostock S-Bahn network.
The first relay interlocking of the Reichsbahndirektion (railway division) of Schwerin went into operation there in 1954.
In the following years the network was further expanded, including a connection from Güstrow to Neubrandenburg opened in 1864, which was extended to Stettin (now Szczecin in Poland) in 1867. What was still missing was a direct connection between Rostock and Güstrow, the largest and the fourth largest towns in the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.
The Neustrelitz–Warnemünde railway (Lloyd Railway) was put into operation in 1886, connecting Rostock with Neustrelitz and Berlin, but bypassing Güstrow.
In addition to local traffic, the line was significant for long-distance traffic.
From 1895, trains from Berlin to Rostock and Copenhagen ran via Güstrow instead of on the direct route via Plaaz on the Lloyd Railway.